Olympics 2020 baseball semi finals Japan vs South Korea Predictions and Betting Tips

Baseball is back at the Olympics after it was last played in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and oh boy has it been a blast! After defeating the US baseball team, Japan will face South Korea in the semi finals of baseball tournament in the 2020 Olympics

The Japan vs Dominican Republic semi final baseball game will take place on August 4 2021 at 7 PM Japan time and 8 AM EST.

At slotfreespin we will be giving you the lowdown,predictions and betting tips for this baseball game at the semi finals of the baseball tournament at the Olympics.

Japan Men’s Baseball Team Preview

Japan is currently ranked the best baseball team in the world according to the WBSC world rankings and proved why they are the best at the Olympics. Japan is undefeated in the 3 games it has played so far and is unbeaten in its last 5 games.

Japan didn’t have an easy start at the 2020 Olympics. In their opening game against the Dominican Republic,Samurai Japan were trailing the game 3 to 1 but kicked made a thrilling comeback by scoring 3 runs in the 9th inning to win their opening game.

They then went on to beat Mexico 7 runs to 4.

Their next challenge was against the US national baseball team. This was a close game that was decided with an extra inning.

The score was nil nil until Japan got 2 runs in the third inning. In the 4th inning the US took the lead by scoring 3 runs to make it 3:2. Japan scored another run  in the 4th to make the game level at 3:3.

In the fifth inning, the US struck another 3 runs to make the score 6:3. Japan managed to score 2 runs in response and the score was now 6:5. The score stayed the same until the 9th inning when Japan equalized with another run and another inning was added.

The US hitters didn’t manage to score and Japan scored the winning run in the 10th to win the game 7:6.

Baseball has officially been played at the Olympics 5 times and Japan has always reached the semi finals just like they have reached it this time. Japan has won 2 bronze medals and silver in these 5 tournaments. With the home crowd behind them, Japan will be looking to win their first gold medal in Baseball at the Olympics.

South Korea Baseball Team Preview

South Korea’s baseball team is currently ranked 3rd by WBSC. This makes them the second best ranked team in the Olympics after world number 1 Japan, as the Chinese Taipei,which is ranked second by WBSC, hasn’t qualified for the Olympics.

South Korea won the last Baseball tournament at the Olympics in 2008. Prior to that they failed to qualify for the 2004 edition, won a bronze in 2000,finished last in 1996 and failed to qualify for the 1992 tournament.

South Korea has never won the World Baseball Classic with their best performances being a runners up and third place finish in 2006 and 2009. In the 2013 and 2017 editions South Korea crashed out in the first round.

But in spite of this fact, South Korea has dominated the Asian games in a competition that features the best and the 2nd best ranked teams, Japan and Chinese Taipei.

South Korea has won the baseball tournament at the Asian games consecutively in 2010,2014 and the last one in 2018.

South Korea won the Premier12 in 2015 and finished as runners up in the 2019 edition that helped them to qualify for the 2020 Olympics.

At the Olympics South Korea won their first game against Israel 6 runs to 5. They lost their second game to the US baseball team 2 to 4.

In their Round 1 match up against the Dominican Republic, South Korea was trailing 3 runs to 1 in the 4th inning. They did a good job at preventing Dominican Republic from scoring more runs but only managed to score in the final inning where they struck 3 runs to win the game 4 to 3.

Their round 2 game against Israel was the best one so far. South Korea dominated Israel and their hitters hit 7 runs in the 5th inning and went on to win the game 11 to 1.

This convincing win over Israel helped South Korea reach the semi finals.

Japan vs South Korea Olympics Baseball Semi Finals Predictions

Japan has been more consistent throughout the tournament and we believe that the home advantage will help Samurai Japan win against South Korea in the semi finals and help them get one step closer to their first gold in Baseball at the Olympics.

In terms of the predicted runs for this game, we will base our calculations on the run averages. Japan has scored 18 runs over 3 games giving them an average of exactly 6 runs per game. Japan hasn’t deviated much from the average with a record of 4,7 and 7 runs in these 3 games respectively.

In terms of runs conceded,Japan conceded 17 runs in 3 games for an average of 5.66 runs conceded per game.

South Korea on the other hand has scored 23 runs in 4 games for an average of 5.66 runs per game and conceded 13 runs in 4 games for an average of 3.25 runs per game.

Based on these averages we think it will be a closely contested game where plenty of runs can be scored. We won’t surprised if a total more 9 or 10 runs or more are scored in this one.

Our prediction is that Japan will win 6-5.

Japan vs South Korea Baseball Odds

Bookmakers are offering the following odds for the Japan vs South Korea game in the semi finals of the 2020 summer Olympics:

  • Japan -238 (1.42)
  • South Korea +160 (2.60)

We can see from the odds that Japan is the clear favorite to win this one but South Korea does have a good chance of winning. If we convert these odds into percentages, Bookmakers believe South Korea has a 38.5% chance of winning whereas Japan has a 61.5% chance of winning.

Japan vs South Korea Baseball Betting Tips

If you have checked out our article on Baseball betting tips, you would know that this isn’t the best game to place a simple moneyline bet if you are looking to make some serious cash. If you haven’t we will give you a Tl:Dr version of it, games where the odds are less than +100 are just not worth it when it comes to moneyline bets.

That being said, you can increase your payout by building parlays or combo bets.

Here are some bets that you can parlay to get a higher payout:

  • Japan to win 
  • Over 10.5 total runs to be scored (You can also bet on Over 8.5 runs to be scored to play it safe)
  • Japan to score more than 4.5 runs.
  • South Korea to score more than 4.5 runs.

Best Bookmakers for the Japan vs South Korea Baseball Game

All the casinos that are promoted on this page also have pretty good sportsbooks with really good odds and special bonuses for betting on the Olympic games. We recommend you to check them out.