France vs Germany Men’s handball Olympics 2020 Predictions 

France and Germany face off against each other in their 3rd game in the group stage of the Men’s handball tournament at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. 

Both teams are strong contenders for a gold medal at the Olympics for the men’s handball tournament and have the capacity for putting on a strong performance. 

So who will win between France and Germany at the 2021 Olympics? Check out our predictions for the France vs Germany men’s handball game at 2020 Olympics to find out…

Odds for France vs Germany Men’s Handball at the 2021 Olympics

The odds for the France vs Germany game are as follows:

  • France 1.57
  • Draw 8.80
  • Germany 2.85

From these odds we can tell that bookmakers favor France to win this game. The odds between the two are not too spread out which means that they do believe Germany still has a good chance of winning the game as well.

France Men’s Handball Team Preview

France has started to emerge as a major powerhouse in the world of men’s Handball since the 1990’s. They failed to qualify for the Olympics until the 1992 Olympics where they won a bronze medal. France has qualified for the Olympics ever since. 

France won a gold medal in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics and finished with a silver medal in the last Olympics in 2016.

France has also won the most number of Handball world cups since the 1995 World Handball Cup. In fact, France has won 6 of the last 12 IHF World Cups. They won 2011, 2015 and 2017 World Cups and finished 3rd in the 2019 World Cup and 4th in the 2021 World Cup.

France Handball Team Performance since 2018

France’s men’s Handball team has seen a slight dip in form since 2018. This was partly due to the fact that the end of their golden generation of players that reigned supreme between 2008 and 2017. This generation of players were called  “Les Experts” (the Experts). 

The Experts helped France win 2 out 3 Olympics,2 out of 5 European Championships and 4 out 5 Handball World Cups during their reign between 2008 and 2017.

The French team is now in a period of transition and trying to build another era of experts. Since 2018 France has played 2 European Championships and 2 World Cups.

France finished 3rd in the 2018 European Championship and crashed out in the group stages in the 2020 European Championships.


The French Handball team also witnessed a decline in the last two world cups as well with a third place finish in the 2019 world cup and a 4th place finish at the 2021 Handball world cup. 

For the 2021/22 European Handball season, France is ranked 2nd. They trail Germany by just 1 point and the third ranked team, Spain trails France by a massive 27 points.

The IHF hasn’t published world rankings since 2019 so it is difficult to ascertain which teams are the best.

Men's Handball Rankings France vs Germany Olympics 2020

France handball team performance in the 2020 Olympics so far

France has played 2 games at the Olympics so far and won both of them. France currently tops group A of the Men’s Handball tournament and has scored the highest number of goals and has the best goal difference.

Germany Men’s Handball Team Preview

Germany is the number one ranked team for the 2021/22 Handball season according to the EHF rankings. 

Compared to France, Germany’s Men’s Handball team hasn’t seen a lot of glory in major competitions.

Germany has won the IHF world cup only 3 times, in 1938,1978 and finally in 2007. Since 2007 Germany’s best performance in the Handball World Cup was in 2019 where they finished 3rd.

Germany has won a gold medal at the Olympics for Handball only once, in 1936. They won a silver medal in the 1984 and 2004 Summer Olympics and a bronze medal in the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Germany handball team performance in the 2020 Olympics so far 

Germany’s men’s handball team is currently ranked 2nd in group A. They are tied on 2 points with Norway and Spain but are ranked 2nd due to their superior goal difference. 

Germany played 2 games in the group stage as well. They lost their first game against a very strong Spanish team but they lost by just 1 point. They went to face Argentina and defeated 33-27.

Germany has scored the second highest number of goals. They have also conceded the 2nd fewest goals in their group at 53 goals compared to Norway’s 52.

France vs Germany Men’s Handball Prediction Olympics 2020

Based on the rankings,odds and past performance we can see why France are the favorites to win this game, odds of 1.57 set by bookmakers translates into a 63.7% chance for France to win and a 36.3% chance for Germany to win.

Germany has better ability to defend but France is better at scoring. Their defensive record is not too far apart either.

We predict that this game could go either way but we are siding with France. Keep in mind that Germany lost by just 1 goal to Spain, which is one of the best teams in the world and beat Argentina by +2 goal difference compared to France who also played Argentina.

When we looked at the results of 2 closely contested games we noticed a pattern. We found that these games tend to be decided by a margin of less than 5 goals (usually between 1 and 3 goals). The total number of goals also tend to be between 54 and 55 for an average of 54.5.

France vs Germany Men’s Handball Olympics 2020 Betting Tips

In our article on sports betting tips, we mentioned that match winner bets are not a good idea unless both teams have odds of 2.0 or more. 

For this reason we do not recommend a match winner bet for this game. Combo bets and over/ under bets are the best option to help you get a bang for your buck.

Here are some of the betting tips we have for you which have odds of 2.0 or more. This means that these bets could help you double your money or possibly win more if these outcomes occur.

  • France to win by a margin of 1-5. Odds 2.20
  • France to win, total number of goals to be scored be less than 57.5. Odds 2.80.

Best bookmakers for France vs Germany Men’s Handball for the 2020 Olympics

The casinos that are promoted on this page also have sportsbooks with very good odds and offers. We recommend you to check them out!